Sunday, March 6, 2011

Prayers for the Middle East

The democratic movement that has been sweeping the countries of the Middle East has been uppermost in my thoughts lately. I studied in Egypt, both as an undergraduate and after I finished graduate school, so I know first hand how deeply they yearn for freedom. Freedom to live without fear, away from the shadow of corruption, able to choose their own destiny, and succeed (or fail) on their own terms. With that in mind, I posted this on the sketchbook challenge page:
spilling over--middle east
The theme of this month is "spilling over," and I thought how delicate is this moment in time, when the urge toward freedom is spilling over in the region -- but like a seedling, it can all so easily be struck back by a killing frost, or trampled underfoot.  I pray that democracy is stronger than corruption, and I pray that our government here at home will pay more than just lip service to our founding principles.

No comments: