Monday, August 15, 2011

Evolution

Sigh.  My dynamic composition class with Jane Davies is now over.  It has been such a wonderful way to spend the summer!  One thing I've learned from this class is that the process itself is an important ingredient in the outcome.  I used to wonder why I had trouble composing interesting collages, and I think a large part of the answer is that I never took the time to let them evolve.  This class has been very helpful in getting me to understand how to work in layers, over time. (I've got lots of ideas for interpreting this in cloth, too, so stay tuned.)

Here is an example.  The "before" images were my assignment for week #5, on creating depth.  I spent most of a week just getting to that point, but Jane suggested I try to take it even further.  The "after" pics give you a sense of how much things can continue to change if you confront new visual information over time instead of just trying to "get it done." 

"before and after" storyboards by Rita at Coffee Shop Photography
 Here is my final collage for this class.  It is really two collages that I designed separately, but were on adjacent pages in my journal.  I sort of like them together, but I'm not 100% sure.  I guess this is where I practice what I've learned.  I'll let them sit for awhile and percolate.


I'll be taking a short time away from the blogs.  My youngest daughter will be a senior in high school this year, and hopes to pursue an art degree in college -- we are heading out of town for a week to visit schools and take in some art museums along the way.  See you when we get back!

4 comments:

Kia said...

Ciao Kathleen, interesting class and assignment, the colorful collage is so cheerful! Lovely.
Enjoy your break. Have fun with your daughter :)

Roxanne said...

Hi Kathleen,
I like them together, too!

Victoria said...

Your collages are beautiful, and the evolution is fascinating.

Enjoy your time with your daughter!

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

Beautiful work! I love all the layering. I can't wait to see how you interpret them in fabric.