Friday, February 3, 2012

On the road to Mandalay

My grandfather was a great fan of Rudyard Kipling, and one of his favorite poems was The Road to Mandalay (although it was mandatory in our family to substitute "Wild Bill Robie" for "British soldier" in the 4th line).  My son had a Kipling fixation when he was six or seven, and memorized every word of "Mandalay"-- you might say that it has been an undercurrent in our family's collective memory for many years.

So when we visited Thailand recently, Kipling's words couldn't help but run through my head at every point along the way.

......from the "tinkly temple bells":



.....to the hathis "piling teak":



" .....If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else.
                                                          No! you won't 'eed nothin' else  
                                                          But them spicy garlic smells....."


"...For the temple-bells are callin', an' it's there that I would be —
By the old Moulmein Pagoda, looking lazy at the sea."


(all photos processed with The Coffeeshop Blog's "Butterscotch Vintage" action)

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I find the MANDALAY word quite evocative for another reason..it was the way it was spoken about in the Daphne du Maurier movie..'Rebecca'. Nothing to do with the country. Love your pagoda picture..Thailand is so picturesque. (although I think..tell me if I am wrong..that Mandalay was in Burma..any way..close!!)
Cheers, Jenni

Kathleen said...

Ha Ha! You've caught me, Jenni.... I meant to put a disclaimer on this blog post but forgot. The poem was set in Burma, but Thailand borders Burma (we even visited the Golden Triangle, where Burma, Laos and Thailand all converge), so it was as close as I'll probably get to Mandalay. Too funny about the pronunciation of "Manderley" in the movie version of "Rebecca"-- I remember that well....

Kia said...

Awwww, so much gorgeousness! :)
Thanks again for the virtual tour, I am really enjoying it!
Have a lovely Monday!

Kathy McCreedy said...

Hi Kathleen,
I stumbled onto your site via your guest post on Art Journaling... I took the liberty of pinning your red quilt on Pinterest, and of course, credited you. Your quilts are delicious!!! I have had a love affair with quilts my entire life and took a quilting class with my mom right after I graduated from college. Now I keep busy doing calligraphy and collage art... I appreciated seeing how you've transitioned from fabric to paper... there are so many things to explore, aren't there?!? Lovely work, thank you for sharing it with us!
Kathy