Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Aurora!

The task this week at Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday party is simply to use her "Aurora" texture on a photo.  Click here to see some truly amazing photography and texture work!  I have to say, I really like textures that have text, but sometimes they can be hard to use.  I love this week's "Aurora" because the textures are just on the edges -- enough to give you some visual interest, but not enough to overpower the image on the photo.
(two layers of "aurora" plus Kim's "canvas back magic")

sooc

sooc


("aurora," "canvas back magic,"  plus a ShadowHouse Creation texture)
My birthday was the other day, so I decided to spring for a macro lens and hopefully it will arrive before next week. I can't wait to see what I can capture with it!  Here you can see that I really want to get in close, but my camera reaches its inherent limits:
sooc


(Three layers of "Aurora" with "Dropcloth")






















("Aurora" with two layers of "Mayzee")
sooc


On 90 percent of these images, my family all prefer the version without the textures. I just can't see why! To my mind, textures add a sense of timelessness and a feeling that there is a story behind the picture. I'll bet you might agree if you are visiting from Kim's site, but then again, maybe it's just my husband and kids' way of telling me I need to work on this some more!
sooc and with "Aurora"

10 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful texture work!! :)

EMily said...

I love your edits!

Susan said...

These are all just incredible. Awesome job!!

Hope your day is blessed!

Julie Legg Photo said...

I like the purple tones with the gray background. Nice job!

The Charm of Home said...

Oh very, very nice! Love it used with dropcloth.
Sherry

Cedar said...

These are lovely photos with or without the textures...though I do love your texture work--really beautiful! My husband always says "I like the one that looks like a real flower :)"

libbyquilter said...

love what you're doing~!!~especially the clematis shot~!
i agree with you. textures often give a photo more 'story'. that's a great way to explain it.
i've encountered the same comments from family and friends who do not always like the textured image the best. i've decided that's quite okay. after all i'm really just trying to make myself happy with the creative 'journey' that i love so much. some will agree with my choices and some will not.

curious about your macro lens as i'm giving some deep thought to one of my own and having a hard time deciding. btw: happy birthday~!

:-)
libbyQ

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Beautiful examples of the use of textures. Loving the before and after shots. Carolyn x

johanna said...

your layered photos look fantastic! love them all...

Kia said...

Hi Kathleen, thanks so much for stopping by! :)
So many amazing photos, and your texture work is so lovely! Well done :) I especially like the pink rose, so delicate.